Tuesday, January 1, 2013

30 in 30 Challenge: Approach

Once a season, local poets in Flagstaff, AZ, challenge each other to write 30 poems in 30 days. In the spirit of starting the new year off in a new way by making new stuff, yep, I'm in. Time for this. 

The 30 in 30 Mindset is not necessarily to write 30 perfectly beautiful poems in a row. The goal is to get back into the habit of writing often in order to free up the pen some--write even when you don't think you have anything to say, force yourself through rough spots where you would usually stop writing, try new things that pressureless you would avoid.

With 30 poems looming ahead, the pressure to be awesome kind of disappears, and I tend to write my best stuff with just that amount of pressure: write something, and let it be awful if it wants to be. The value is in the practice, the scrimmage, the skirmishing of forces--not necessarily the product. 

In a word: experimentation. In a phrase: invite the new, no matter how it arrives. In an exclamation: Hooray! A poem has been made! This in itself has value--the appearance of one poem usually signals the presence of others.

If this last year can function as any kind of lesson, the piece of advice Matt Larrimore offered me in July holds true: sometimes you gotta write through the yuck before the gold starts to appear.

Side note: I love writing prompts like these, wherein I am commanded to write, but not what about, and the quality does not matter. I suppose its more an exercise than a process then. And I could use the exercise. I haven't written a new poem since November.

Hopefully, this 30 in 30 will provide a double-writing-whammy. I'll get to write more poems, and I'll also be providing myself with writer-stuff to blog about. Process, instances, brief discussions with the muse, things I love in other poems, the experiments failed, the experiments succeeded, the way there and the there too. 

So I'll be updating more soon. 

-Hope (not bad)

No comments:

Post a Comment